Monday, May 18, 2009

Boca Negra

So, I have determined that I have an unequipped kitchen. Tina, the professional chef probably would have told you this many years ago. However, I thought that I had enough stuff to get me by. However, since starting this "challenge" I have come to realize that I need to go to Caynes to buy some much needed kitchen items.


This challenge requires a cake pan and a roasting pan, both of which I don't own. So, I used my spring form pan which was 9.5 inches. The only other item that I owned which this pan would fit into was a baking sheet - not quite high enough for water to be of any significance. Plus, when I attempted to put water in it - it just leaked through my pan -disaster number one. Luckily I had some foresight and hadn't added the cake mixture into my pan.

My arms were extremely sore from stirring, stirring and more stirring. I thought that the butter pieces would never end. I exchanged Canadian Club for bourbon, since we didn't have any on hand. The syrup was nice and fragrant and added a nice touch to the end result.

I decided not to make the white-chocolate cream, I thought it would be a little too sweet and would make whipped cream instead. Plus I am not a huge fan of white chocolate.


I placed my pan in the oven with a pot of water in the rack below. I had called Tina for some advice since I didn't have the necessary equipment. Tina assured me the water was needed for moisture. I baked for 30 minutes. After checking it - my instinct told me I needed to wait a little longer - so I baked it for about 5 more minutes or so as I did not want to over bake this dessert. I knew that this cake was to be somewhat of a brownie consistency. I followed Julia's instructions to a tee. When I attempted to flip it over - disaster #2....the cake was raw inside. So, not wanting to waste and after working so hard - I placed the mixture in dish and placed in the oven for at least another 20 minutes.
My plan was to bring this dish to a friend's house on Saturday afternoon, but the end result looked so ugly, I could not bear to do so. That is also why I did not include a picture of the cake on the blog, I am just too embarrassed. I am looking forward to next weeks lemon loaf!
Until next week, happy baking ladies!
P.S. I am trying to convince my friend Stephanie to join us - she is an excellent cook and baker....

No comments:

Post a Comment